Assistant Director of Development and Alumni Affairs
Westchester Country Day School is seeking an experienced Assistant Director of Advancement and Alumni Affairs. This assistant director will have responsibility for assisting in the school’s development efforts and overseeing the planning and execution of alumni activities both nationwide and in targeted regions across the country to enhance alumni engagement and cultivate connections. This 12-month, full-time position will report to the Director of Development.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree and preferred 3-5 years of experience in fundraising, alumni relations, advancement, or event management. However, experience in sales or a related field in which the candidate can demonstrate a successful track record may be substituted. Candidate must have the ability to travel (10%) and work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed. This position also requires demonstrated success in:
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and relationship-building
- Motivating volunteers
- Budget management
- Computer skills, particularly in Microsoft Excel and database management (Veracross).
Assist the Director of Development in the coordination of Development Office activities, including fundraising events, communications, donor and alumni relations as well as the management of school events.
- Coordinate volunteers and leadership for the annual Blue & White Gala auction, including preparation of materials and contracts for the event, planning of meetings for various committees and volunteers, maintain database of donated items and services, follow up and correspondence with donors, and other jobs as needed in preparing and hosting the event.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of the school’s major special events, including Grandparents Day, new parent events, reunions, additional alumni events, graduation, Blue and White Day, as well as coordinate setup and volunteers for other school events throughout the year.
- Plan and coordinate correspondence and follow up with donors regarding pledges, donations and invitations to events.
- Maintain parent, alumni and donor computer databases, including updating of information and recording of donations and pledges.
- Plan, implement and promote alumni programs that support the school's strategic plan and further the goals of future capital campaigns.
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni (locally, regionally, nationally and internationally) through event attendance
- Oversee the work of the Westchester Alumni Council by arranging its meetings, working to staff its committees and ensuring strong relationships between its members and the academic and administrative leadership of Westchester Country Day School.
- Increase alumni participation through direct solicitation via the annual fund, class giving and reunion giving initiatives.
- Works to ensure accurate and complete alumni database records (capture contact, biographical and career information of alumni via surveys, projects, correspondence, website, etc.).
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
- Be a contributing member of the Development Office, with specific responsibility for increasing support from alumni through routinely identifying and qualifying alumni prospects for gifts, communicating development-related activities via written contact reports in fundraising software, and engaging in prospect management meetings.
- Initiate contact with prospective donors and alumni through face-to-face engagement.
- Collaborate with the Communications Office to develop a comprehensive alumni engagement communications plan within the school’s integrated communications and marketing strategy, including communications on multiple social media platforms.
- Partner with the College Counseling Office to plan the growth and accessibility of career networking services for students and alumni and tracking college and career outcomes.
- Continue to strengthen and create programs to educate current students on the importance of and benefits of being alumni.
- Work with the Business Office to oversee and balance the Alumni Relations budget.
- Assist with Advancement team projects and functions as necessary to carry out the strategic fundraising, admissions and marketing plans.
Resumes will be considered on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Kate Moser, director of development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westchester seeks to educate each child toward moral, academic, artistic, and athletic excellence in a nurturing, family environment where students, teachers, and parents support one another. By respecting the student and honoring learning, Westchester aims to cultivate informed citizens who are ready for a rapidly changing world and to graduate students who view the pursuit and wise use of knowledge as a lifelong joy.
We firmly believe our continued pursuit of excellence demands an emphasis on the values of diversity, inclusion, and belonging. WCDS is committed to creating a climate of respect. We celebrate and recognize that much is learned from many different perspectives and identities in a diverse community. By honoring differences, we build a community of belonging and success for all.
Westchester serves communities throughout the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, including Archdale, Colfax, Greensboro, High Point, Jamestown, Kernersville, Lexington, Thomasville, Trinity, Wallburg and Winston-Salem. For more information, visit westchestercds.org.