Assistant Water and Sewer Mains Superintendent
The City of High Point’s Public Services Department seeks qualified applicants for the current Assistant Water/Sewer Mains Superintendent opening. The individual will perform difficult technical and responsible administrative work in overseeing the engineering, GIS, utility locating, and ORC sections of the Water and Sewer Mains Division; does related work as required.
- Assists superintendent in overseeing the planning, coordination, assignment and inspection of the work of crews engaged in water and wastewater system maintenance, installation and repair;
- Ensures that ORC responsibilities are performed including State water and sewer permitting and flow tracking;
- Consults with the superintendent and advises on the status of operational activities;
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries and complaints;
- Performs investigation of water and sewer lines;
- Assists superintendent in preparation of budget and monitors expenditures;
- Requisitions necessary equipment, tools, supplies and materials;
- Maintains times and material records;
- Adjust work schedules and assignments;
- Responds to afterhours emergency calls;
- Performs supervisory functions;
- Coordinates work activities with other departments as required;
- Ensures the exchange of data between various internal divisions and City departments;
- Ensures mapping records, and files are kept up-to-date;
- Provides specifications for equipment, tools, chemicals and services for the division;
- Oversees utility locators as part of internal and 811 utilities locate requests;
- Provides construction administration for departmental contracts such as ROW (Right-of-Way) maintenance, emergency repair contract, odor control, root control, corrosion control, etc.;
- Uses various means and methods to assess the condition of the Collection and Distribution systems including videos, aerial photos, plans, map data, etc.;
- Oversees the Geographic Information System (GIS) implementation for the division;
- Performs minor surveying of distribution and collection systems such as measuring distances and elevations;
- Develops maps and drawings of the distribution and collection systems with ArcGIS as needed.
- Supervises dispatchers
- Coordinates between field operations and engineering services on repairs or work needed to improve the water and sewer systems.
- Writes and updates SOPs, policies, procedures, and specifications as needed.
- Assists with advertising, recruitment, interviewing and selection of employees;
- Oversees the implementation of Mobile 311 (work order system), hydrant meter program, utility locating, dispatching, smoke/dye testing, hydrant tagging, and summer work programs;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Formal Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Construction Management or closely related field and a minimum of 3 years experience in engineering, surveying, construction, operation, repair and maintenance for water and wastewater mains. Must have a minimum of 2 years supervisory experience OR
- Associate’s Degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Surveying, Construction Management or closely related field and a minimum of 5 years experience in engineering, surveying, construction, operation, repair and maintenance for water and wastewater mains. Must have a minimum of 3 years supervisory experience
- North Carolina Collection IV Certification and/or North Carolina Distribution A Certification or ability to obtain within 2 years.
- Extensive engineering or construction experience in water and sewer systems.
- Must have valid appropriate Class “C” driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina.
Annual Salary: $56,786.75 – $77,075.61 Depending on Qualifications with excellent benefits. Applicant must upload a Cover Letter and Resume with Application.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. This process will require you to have an email address which will be used to contact you throughout the hiring process. If you have already created your GovernmentJobs.com personal account, please login. If not, please click on the link to create an account (registration is free). The Online application must be completed on or before the closing date of Sunday, April 11, 2021. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.