Code Enforcement Officer – Multi-trade
- Enforces and interprets the N.C. State Building Codes as certified and related sections of the Charter and the Code of Ordinance of the City of High Point.
- Performs review of building plans and construction documents for determining code compliance with N. C. State Building Codes and Codes of Ordinances for the City of High Point; Investigates complaints from citizens and public officials regarding possible violations of these codes; Inspects buildings and structures for compliance with, or violations of the Building Codes.
- Prepares written reports of building plan reviews and inspection findings.
- Prepares correspondence to property owners, builders, or other parties of interest, relating to enforcement of the Building Codes and related laws and ordinances.
- Holds, or participates in, administrative hearings to find fact regarding condition and disposition of unsafe, abandoned, defective and dangerous building or structures.
- Prepares information for hearings before City Council regarding enforcement of building codes and local codes and ordinances.
- Issues Complaints, Notices of Hearings, Orders to Repair, Orders to Vacate and Close, Orders to Demolish, Notices of Violations, and Certificates of Compliance: Performs research of property ownership and tax records.
- Provides information to the public regarding building codes, status of projects during construction and other related City matters.
- Operates sedan or light truck to reach construction sites; Operates computer to enter and retrieve information; Operates copy machine, printer and telephone.
- Uses hand tools (soil probe, tape measure, level, flashlight, ladder, testing instruments, etc.) to perform inspections.
- Maintains assigned equipment in a clean and operable condition.
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety.
- Formal Education
- Associate degree in Building Construction or closely related field with at least four (4) years of trade experience; OR
- High School Diploma with 6 years of trade experience.
- Must be able to qualify for a Probationary Level 3 Certificate through the NC Code Officials Qualification Board in Building Inspections and a Level 1 Certification in Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Inspections.
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
- Standard Level 2 or 3 Certificates through the NC Code Officials Qualification Board
- Associate degree in construction management or similar trade
Salary Range: $47,887.84 - $61,353.76 with benefits
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.