Construction Inspector I
City of High Point seeks person with background in public works projects inspection and related construction work experience. Position involves the inspection of on-going construction projects within the City's Engineering Services Department. Duties will include supervision/inspection of such projects as roadway, storm, water, sewer, sidewalk installation and street resurfacing work, including all related activities associated with such assignments.
- Inspects and participates in the supervision of water, sewer, street, resurfacing, sidewalk, and related construction projects of contractors for compliance with plans, specifications, and standards.
- Inspects material received by contractors at project site to ensure it meets the required specifications.
- Informs contractors and/or developers of deviations or errors and advises as to corrective action.
- Inspects street cuts made for various facilities.
- Inspects work in progress, maintains progress reports and verifies change order information, if necessary.
- Maintains inspection records, permits, plans and related documents on file.
- Ensures compliance with erosion and sediment control regulations.
- Takes samples of materials for testing of quality, deals with outside testing agencies.
- Conducts tests in the field and keeps records of tests.
- Receives, reviews, and approves pay requests from contractors, as necessary.
- Acts as project inspector of City projects.
- Conducts follow-up and final inspections and issues certificates of completion and compliance.
- Regular communication with supervisor and appropriate parties.
- Documents field conditions and notes as-built conditions on engineering drawings for in-house staff and outside engineers.
- Ensures that work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Provides on-call inspection for contracts involving after-hours emergency response
- Formal Education
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from a two-year community college with major work in civil engineering and considerable experience in sub-professional engineering or construction work
- Must have a valid NC driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to practical and technical problems encountered in the inspection and construction of water, sewer, highway, resurfacing, sidewalk, and related projects.
- Must be able to select the proper course of action from several alternatives to illicit compliance with the code(s) by property owners and parties in interest.
- Must be able to use arithmetic to calculate measurements, calculate area, determine costs, and apply mathematical formulas found in the code(s) or the construction standard(s).
- Must be able to read and comprehend construction plans and related Codes, Zoning Ordinances, the North Carolina Building Code, technical manuals, policy manuals, instructions, directions, reports, maps, and other documents relating to the job requirements.
- Must be able to write concise descriptions of deficiencies and findings of progress observed during inspection of projects, correspondence detailing the requirements of the code(s) and penalties for failure to comply, and technical reports associated with the job.
- Must be able to communicate ideas to other employees, property owners, workers, public, and have the ability to express ideas in technical and/or trade terms associated with building and construction.
- Must be able to remain polite and courteous while being firm in the enforcement of codes and ordinances.
- Must be able to interpret codes as they relate to engineering designs.
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, citizens, City officials and coworkers
- Ability to maintain accurate hardcopy and electronic records
Hiring Salary range from $42,376.84 - $54,293.87 annually with excellent benefits.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date of Sunday, April 11, 2021. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.