Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates all Public Service activities and operations.
- Liaison between the office of the City Manager and field operations of the department.
- Makes field inspections of Public Service projects to ascertain status.
- Consults with division superintendents/managers to establish operating policies and procedures.
- Researches and recommends operational changes.
- Serves as intergovernmental coordinator between departments, federal and state authorities.
- Receives citizen inquiries or complaints and dispatches available information recommending actions.
- Oversees the preparation and reviews departmental operating budgets.
- Assists divisions in purchasing, budgeting and personnel administration including hiring, firing, disciplinary actions, hearings, and promotions.
- Oversees the various contracts for capital improvements including new buildings, renovations, municipal recycling facility construction, new landfill, compost facility, bridges, streets, sidewalks, water/sewer plants, infrastructure, and upgrades, etc.
- Reviews and approves contract documents including design drawings, specifications, shop drawings, bid documents, qualifications, change orders, progress payments and warranties.
- Conducts pre-bid, pre-construction, and construction meetings to assure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Interprets plans and performs quality assurance and quality control on the construction.
- Develop and administer departmental goals, objectives, and procedures, and assess programs, policies and operational needs and make appropriate adjustments.
- Analyze data and information; draw conclusions; propose responsive actions.
- Identify and respond to sensitive community and organizational issues, concerns and needs.
- Research, analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques.
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
- Interpret and apply applicable Federal, State, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain confidentiality of certain City information.
- Work with diverse groups from the public, business, industry and various local government agencies to evaluate methods for solving problems and improving service.
- Administrative principles and methods, including goal setting, program and budget development and implementation
- Knowledge of City organization and functions; laws, rules and regulations governing assigned activities
- Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting
- Principles and practices of public outreach methods and techniques
- Principles of personnel management, supervision, training, and performance evaluation
- Laws, regulations, and policies concerning zoning, land use, and the environment.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations, including legislation and requirements regarding equal employment opportunity, minority, and women-owned business enterprises requirements.
- Principles and practices of program development and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Formal Education o Combination of education and experience equivalent to graduating from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Master’s degree in Public Administration preferred, but not required.
- NC Professional Engineer preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of progressive management and leadership within the public services field, minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience as an Assistant Department Head or equivalent role.
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
Hiring Range: $107,080.48 - 145,335.84 DOQ
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc
. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.