The City of High Point's Fire Department seeks to fill the position of Firefighter.
- Suits-out in personal protective equipment, boards fire apparatus, and responds to emergency calls.
- Loads, unloads, carries, and connects fire hoses of various sizes; advances and operates to control and extinguish fires.
- Removes, carries, positions, and climbs ladders of various lengths and performs firefighting and rescue operation.
- Provides ventilation openings in hazardous locations and/or positions using manual or mechanical mean.
- Forces entry into inaccessible locations and extrication from entrapment using manual or mechanical mean.
- Uses self-contained breathing apparatus and enters hazardous and/or toxic atmospheres.
- Searches hazardous locations for persons trapped or disabled and removes to safety.
- Performs EMT-B level (Emergency Medical Technician) functions.
- Performs cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Uses ropes to hoist, lower and secure persons and/or equipment using various knots.
- Performs property conservation measures during fires and/or environmental emergencies.
- Identifies tool location and proper use on assigned apparatus.
- Proper maintenance of tools assigned to apparatus.
- Knowledge of components, cleaning, and basic air management.
- Knowledge of fire behavior.
- Proper selection and uses of portable extinguishers.
- Assist with public education and fire prevention classes.
- Performs daily cleaning and care of the fire stations and grounds.
- Installs and maintains smoke detectors in the community.
- Performs other related and non-related activities within the scope of firefighter's knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to climb and descend ladders of various heights, navigate or walk on various shaped roofs.
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City safety standards and policies.
- Formal Education; Graduation with High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Successful completion of the HPFD Recruit Academy;
- NC Driver’s License class B or the ability to get within 2 years of employment;
- Must have or be able to obtain North Carolina or National Registry EMT certification within one year from date of employment;
- Must be able to work 24-hour duty shift any day of the week and various weather conditions whenever emergencies occur or performing regular duties.
- North Carolina or National Registry EMT
- English and Spanish Language skills
- Fire Service Experience
Salary: $37,521.12 Annually with great benefits package
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.