Groundskeeper (Blair Park Golf Maintenance)Essential Tasks
- Performs and assists in general park maintenance including mowing, edging, pruning, trimming, spraying, watering, chemical treatment, planting and general care of grass, plants and trees;
- Operates tractors and various power equipment to mow and maintain golf course;
- Rakes and edges sand traps;
- Prepares seed beds, lays sod, spreads seed, lime, fertilizer and straw;
- Weeds, mulches, prepares plant beds and plants flowers;
- Assists in irrigation repairs, building erosion control walls and installing drain lines;
- Hand waters greens, sets up hose and sprinklers, and under supervision, turns on automatic irrigation system;
- Cleans and performs simple maintenance on equipment;
- Changes cup settings, moves tee markers and picks up trash;
- Does general maintenance as required;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year experience using the trade tools and equipment
- Thorough understanding of local, state and federal safety regulations and OSHA
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
Hearing/Speaking - Expressing and/or receiving information by means of spoken word are both necessary to converse with internal and external customers including co-workers, citizens, and necessary to operate equipment safely and enforce safety regulations.
Visual Abilities – the ability to perceive via eyesight is required for this position:
- Acuity, far – clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. Must be able to see people at a distance in order to monitor their activities in order to ensure their safety around equipment. Both eyes 20/25 – R 20/30 – L 20/30 corrected
- Acuity, near – clarity of vision at 20 inches or less. Must be able to see equipment and work aids at close range in order to operate them properly. Both eyes 20/25 corrected
- Depth perception – Three-dimensional vision and the ability to judge distance and space relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are. Necessary in order to properly operate equipment and monitor activities for regulation and safety. Depth perception – 4
- Field of Vision – the area that can be seen up and down or to the right or left while eyes are focused on one point. Must be able to see a wide span of area to cover grounds and observe people and their activities in order to enforce rules and regulations.
- Accommodation – Must be able to adjust the eye lens to glance quickly. This item is especially important when doing near-point work at varying distances from eye. Must be able to adjust eye lens to focus readily when glancing from near work (equipment operation, observer near at hand, etc.) to distance work (people walking around in vicinity of equipment) to monitor activities and ensure safety at all areas.
Physical Strength – degree of physical demands typically associated with this position include:
- Medium to Heavy Work
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; and/or
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and
- A negligible amount of force constantly to handle or move materials related to the position.
- Work requires walking, standing, reaching, climbing, squatting, bending, and stooping, although worker does sit on occasions.
- Type of Physical Demands
- Reaching - Extending the hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Handling - Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand(s).
- Fingering - Picking, pinching or otherwise working with fingers primarily rather than the entire hand or arm.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to work tasks and practical situations and requests made by supervisor or members of the general public; to comprehend and respond to a variety of situations in an expedient manner. Good judgement is important because often the individual may be working in the absence of a supervisor.
- Using arithmetic and/or Statistics: Ability to apply fundamental concepts of arithmetic to arrive at accurate formulas for chemical and paint mixtures.
- The ability to speak, read and write the English Language are required for this position.
- The Groundskeeper is subject to Outside Environmental Conditions: Exposed to the various weather conditions and temperatures. Combining the type of work performed with the various weather conditions, the worker should be one who can work outside in a hot or cold environment. The position is best suited for someone who doesn’t mind getting wet, dirty, and sweaty.
- The Groundskeeper will be exposed to trash, garbage, grass, plants, and various chemicals, gas, oil, and debris. Work is subject to final standards of OSHA on bloodborne pathogens.
Machinery/Tools/Work Aids/Other Equipment
- Items which may be representative, but not all inclusive, of those commonly associated with this type of work: Push mowers, riding mowers, greens mower, weed-eaters, tractors, jack hammer, power hand tools, chainsaw, pruning saws and shears, dump truck, utility vehicle, hydraulic powered riding equipment, sand trap rakes, sprinklers, irrigation equipment, water hoses, buckets, backpack blowers, backpack pump sprayers, hedge trimmer, basic hand tools, and Personnel Resolution.
This job description may not be all-inclusive, as jobs evolve over time to meet the ever-changing needs of the City of High Point’s workforce. This job description is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment to any individual. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the City of High Point. Candidates selected for employment must pass a background screening as well as a pre-employment physical to ensure medical clearance to perform the essential functions of the job prior to receiving a full offer of employment.
The City of High Point is an at-will employer and employees may be terminated or may terminate their employment at any time with or without reason for any reason not prohibited by law.Salary : $28,681.12 - $36,747.36 Annually