Groundskeeper I (Cemeteries)
The City of High Point's Public Services Department Cemeteries Division seeks to fill a Groundskeeper I position.
- Performs and assists in cemetery park maintenance including mowing, edging, pruning, trimming, spraying, watering, planting and general care of grass, plants and trees;
- Operates tractors and various power equipment to mow and maintain the park;
- Rakes and edges where needed;
- Sprays general landscape maintenance chemicals, under the supervisor’s direction; using hand or backpack pump sprayers;
- Prepares seed beds, lays sod, spreads seed, lime, fertilizer and straw;
- Weeds, mulches, prepares plant beds and plants flowers;
- Assists in irrigation repairs, building erosion control walls and installing drain lines;
- Sets up hose and sprinklers, and under supervision, turns on automatic irrigation system;
- Picks up trash, empties trash containers and replaces bags;
- Cleans and performs simple maintenance on equipment;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Cleans restrooms, Paints facilities.
- Assists in the burial / disinterment of urn or vault type burials and entombments.
- Assist in the upkeep and basic maintenance of buildings.
- Leveling gravestones.
- Assist with Snow Removal.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to work tasks and practical situations and requests made by supervisor or members of the general public; to comprehend and respond to a variety of situations in an expedient manner. Good judgment is important because often the individual may be working in absence of supervisor.
- Minimum Math ability usually associated with this classification:
- Using Arithmetic: Ability to apply fundamental concepts of addition and subtraction to arrive at accurate formulas for chemical and paint mixtures.
- Minimum Language ability usually associated with this classification:
- Ability to read safety manuals, instructions, directions, formulas, landscaping books and other documents relating to the job.
- Ability to write figures and measurements.
- Ability to be conversant in voice and diction so as to participate in discussions with other employees and the general public. Must be polite and courteous when dealing with the public and answering their questions.
- On-the-job Training approximately 8 weeks. Formal education which includes basic arithmetic and/or business math. Some experience in groundskeeping using the trade tools and equipment is desirable.
- Knowledge on the following equipment- Push mowers, riding mowers, weed-eaters, tractors, jack hammer, power hand tools, chainsaw, pruning saws and shears, dump truck, utility vehicle, hydraulic powered riding equipment, rakes, sprinklers, irrigation equipment, water hoses, buckets, backpack blowers, hedge trimmer, basic hand tools and Personnel Resolution.
- Must have valid appropriate driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina. Must be able to work on weekends when necessary. Must be able to work with all types of people and in various weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Must be able to work with chemicals, gas and oil.
- Must have capability of being trained in the basic tasks pertaining to cemetery maintenance operations.
- Must be able to understand and carry out instructions from the supervisor.
- Must make responsible decisions in an expedient manner.
- Possession of Pesticide Applicator’s License, or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire date.
- Possession of CDL “B” license, or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire date.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.