The City of High Point's Department of Information Technology / 911 Division seeks to fill a Telecommunications Supervisor position.
- Oversees the training of new personnel in procedures, policies and techniques;
- Directs, supervises, and participates in the day-to-day operation of the City's 911 communications system; Investigates complaints and evaluates Telecommunicators.
- Maintains, contacts, and oversees the repair of all communications equipment;
- Negotiates service and maintenance contracts;
- Orders and maintains adequate level of office and related supplies, and plans for new and replacement furniture;
- Updates, upgrades and maintains operating procedures;
- Updates all reference materials;
- Assist in Planning expansions of telephone and radio systems and develops specifications;
- Operates, maintains and updates data base for the computer-aided dispatch, automatic vehicle location 800 MHz trunked radio systems and portable radios on the P25 platform;
- Operates E911 and telephone systems, pagers, recording equipment, printers and all system interfaces;
- Aids management in planning major capital programs;
- Assists as a statistical analyst;
- Prepares and maintains various reports;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies;
- Receives telephone calls concerning complaints, passes information on to appropriate public safety units and creates computerized dispatch records;
- Uses specialty training to communicate with panicked, injured, or impaired callers and obtain necessary vital information for an effective emergency response;
- Uses digital trunked mobile radio system to coordinate efficient emergency responses, and to respond to distress calls from responders; conducts accountability and safety procedures. Relays calls for service, messages and operational information to mobile responders.
- Receives police or fire-related emergency and service request calls;
- Dispatches emergency personnel and equipment to specified locations as needed;
- Updates responders to changing conditions, hazards, and threats at the scene of an emergency, gathers response-critical information from persons present at the scene, and gathers other information and resources to facilitate an effective response.
- Contact other agencies, sworn and civilian police and fire department, emergency management, and other local, county, and state agency personnel to coordinate resources for mutual aid situations as requested;
- Works with City utilities, other public utility companies, towing services and taxi companies as needed to obtain resources for Public Safety situations.
- Operates local, state, and federal criminal justice information databases
- Enters call for service into CAD system;
- Assists with testing and fault/maintenance documentation of equipment
- Formal Education: One of the following criteria:
- Bachelor's Degree in a closely related field, and Telecommunicator II or III rank or
- Associates Degree in a closely related field and Telecommunicator II or III rank or
- 10 years Progressive 9-1-1 experience, High School Diploma and Telecommunicator II, or III rank.
- 2 years Supervisory experience
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have or be able to obtain NC DCI Certification
- Must have Call Processing (Police and Fire) Certification
- Must be able to type at least 35 wpm
- Must have ability to be conversant in the theory, principles, and methods of effective and persuasive speaking, voice and diction, and discussion.
- Must have Valid North Carolina Driver’s License
- Because of the confidentiality and sensitive nature of the work required, successful completion of a Polygraph Test, thorough background investigation, drug test, medical examination and a psychological evaluation is required.
Salary: $49,055.64 - $66,580.05 Annually. with benefits
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.