Transit Operator I
The City of High Point's Transit Division seeks to fill a Transit Operator I position.
- Operates a bus on an assigned route and schedule;
- Inspects bus and related equipment and reports defects prior to departure and at the end of shift;
- Prepares trip records regarding mileage, vehicle defects, etc.;
- Boards and off-boards passengers, including passengers in wheelchairs and similar mobility devices:
- Secures passenger wheelchairs with tie down straps in vehicle:
- Collects fares or verifies passes using an electronic farebox;
- Announces designated bus stops;
- Provides routine information concerning schedules to passengers;
- Operates two-way radio, to inform office staff and other required personnel members of traffic delays, accidents, down traffic signs and faulty traffic signals;
- Completes accident, incident and/or miscellaneous reports to document unusual circumstances;
- Follows safety regulations at all times and prescribed accident procedures as necessary;
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Must be at least 25 years old
- Must have a High School Diploma OR General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Must speak, read and write the English Language
- Must have a valid Class B North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger (P) Endorsement
- Must have two (2) years of verifiable experience operating a similar or larger commercial vehicle
- Must be able to drive a bus in typical urban traffic and work well under stress and pressure of time constraints.
- Must be able to work schedules to include split shift, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen
- French and/or Spanish Language skills
Salary: Varies depending upon experience; but minimum is $31,622.45 annually ($15.203/hour).
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. Applications must be submitted by Sunday April 11, 2021. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.