W/S CREW CHIEF
City of High Point’s Public Services Department seeks qualified person to perform responsible skilled work leading and participating in the work of a small water and sewer maintenance or construction crew and operating motorized equipment in the City's Water & Sewer Mains Division. Individual will discuss job requirements with and receive detailed instructions from supervisor; prepare complete work orders with details of actual work performed; train and instruct subordinates; provide guidance and supervision to W/S Technicians I, II, and III; and train technicians in the operation of equipment.
- Formal Education
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have an appropriate (CDL-A) with Tanker Endorsement or be able to obtain (CDL-A) with Tanker Endorsement within 6 months of hire date or being promoted to this position.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and more with assistance.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must have good driving and safety records.
- Must have good knowledge of traffic rules and regulations and safety rules and regulations.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of the methods and practices of equipment and tools, construction, repair and/or maintenance of water and sewer lines and facilities; of occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work and related equipment operations.
- Must have skill in the use of the equipment and tools of the trade including mini-excavator, dump truck, towing trailer, and /or backhoe.
- Must have ability to understand as-builts, street location maps and detailed reports; to lead, supervise and communicate with semi-skilled, unskilled workers and technicians; to accept responsibility for self and crew to ensure quality work performed to City standards.
- Must be able to successfully complete courses and North Carolina Water Distribution A or B, or Wastewater III or IV
- Must be able to obtain Standard First Aid/CPR/AED certification within 6 months.
- Must have Confined Space Competent Person certificate within 3 months
- Must have Trenching and Shoring Competent Person certificate within 3 months.
- Must have OSHA 10-hour course within 6 months.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions for periods up to 16 hours.
- Must be able to work On-Call on a regular rotating basis.
- Valid NC Commercial Driver’s License: Class A with Tanker Endorsement preferred.
- North Carolina Water Distribution A or B, or Wastewater III or IV.
- Knowledge and experience working with water/sewer utilities preferred.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. This process will require you to have an email address which will be used to contact you throughout the hiring process. If you have already created your GovernmentJobs.com personal account, please login. If not, please click on the link to create an account (registration is free). The Online application must be completed on or before the closing date. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Formal Education