W/S UTILIY LOCATORSummary
Performs inspection and evaluation of sanitary sewer lines using closed circuit TV systems. Inspects manholes and lines by various methods including video, smoke, dye, and vacuum testing. Performs responsible skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines, meters, valves and related devices; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision. Supervision is exercised over semi-skilled workers per City policies.
Use lap-top computer or other devices to receive, document and close out locate tickets, during normal hours.
Read and interpret utility maps / prints to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Use assigned communication equipment to effectively communicate with excavators, utility reps, and city personnel, regarding underground facilities.
- Operate different electronic detection equipment, to locate and mark under-ground facilities within prescribed accuracy limits.
- Perform light excavation with a shovel, to expose buried utilities when necessary.
- Receive and respond to locate tickets during normal and after hours in accordance with established time requirements.
- Operate company vehicles in a safe manner and maintain a professional appearance
- Be able to perform manhole entry using assigned equipment and safety devices as needed.
- Perform work in all weather conditions, during normal and after hours.
- The employee shall always follow all safety rules.
- Utilizes computer system to access work orders and map;
- Operates service or tandem truck to pick up parts and supplies from vendor or city warehouse and hauls materials and equipment to and from job sites;
- Cleaning and general housekeeping of the Division’s facilities. This may include cleaning of floors, restroom facilities, cleaning breakroom, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Formal Education
- Must have possession of current driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
- Must be 18 years of age to operate City vehicle.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions for periods up to 16 hours.
- Must be able to work weekly On-Call as needed for locating purposes.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Must obtain basic First Aid/CPR certification within 1st year.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the public.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in water utility locating
- General knowledge of sewer and/or water construction and operation.
- C Distribution or Grade 1 Collection Certification.
- Formal education which includes reading, writing and math.
- Some experience in the installation and repair of pipelines especially water/sewer.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.