The City of High Point's Public Services Department – Eastside WWTP seeks a Wastewater Operator.
- Makes regular rounds of plant to inspect machinery and maintain surveillance on operating conditions, gauges and meters to ensure continued efficient operations as well as detect malfunctions.
- Interpret and record meter and gauge readings and make necessary adjustments including opening and closing valves and switching process equipment on or off.
- Communicate with supervisors, coworkers, other employees regarding operations, plant conditions and other essential information.
- Collect samples, calibrate and operate laboratory meters and conduct various laboratory tests such as pH, solids, settleability, ammonia and total phosphorus.
- Record data regarding plant operations based on observations and inspection.
- Monitor control panels and operate complex computer-controlled equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
- Assists in cleaning of buildings, different units of treatment, vehicle clean-up and other odd jobs as needed.
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Formal education which includes Algebra, and science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) with completion of High School diploma or GED required.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be able to work schedules based on twelve-hour days or nights whichever the case may be, with rotations every month.
- Must also be able to work other schedules as required (such as 5 day – 8 hr shifts).
- Must be able to obtain a Grade II NC Wastewater Operator Certification within two (2) years of employment to keep the job.
- Sit for State exam within six months of completing Wastewater Operator School or forfeit exam reimbursement benefit.
- Valid North Carolina Driver's License
- On-the-job training approximately 6 months.
- Associate Degree in Wastewater or related field, knowledge and experience in mechanics.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. By closing date of Sunday, April 11, 2021. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.