Water/Sewer Mains Technician I
- Operates sewer cleaning equipment on motorized vehicles, including flusher, vacuum and rodding equipment;
- Assists in the installation, replacement and repair of water mains, sewer lines, taps, fire hydrants, valves and meters;
- Responds to water and sewer line problems, cleans lines and manholes;
- Raises and lowers manholes and valve boxes;
- Taps high pressure lines and makes connections;
- Inspects sewer line with TV inspection system;
- Assists W/S Technician II, III, or W/S Crew Chief by inspecting tools, equipment, materials and supplies prior to and distributing same while work is in progress;
- Assists work crew in displaying warning and directional signs for traffic control;
- Operates pick-up, service truck, or tandem and hauls materials and equipment to and from the job sites;
- Uses hand tools to perform various manual tasks associated with utility line maintenance;
- Operates two-way radio to communicate with staff personnel or other departments;
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and City Safety Standards and Policies.
- Cleaning and general housekeeping of the Division's facilities. This may include cleaning of floors, restroom facilities, cleaning breakroom, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Formal Education
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must have possession of current driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina
- Must be able to obtain a CDL "A" learner's permit with a Tanker Endorsement within 6 months of hire date and a CDL Class "A" License with Tanker Endorsement within one year of hire date.
- Must be 18 years of age to operate City vehicle.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions for periods up to 16 hours.
- Must be able to work weekly On-Call on a regular rotating basis.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Must obtain basic First Aid/CPR certification within 1st year.
- Must be able to deal effectively with the public.
- Having Class 'A' Commercial Driver's License with Tanker Endorsement
- General knowledge of sewer and/or water construction and operation, flusher trucks, rodder trucks, backhoe and tandem dump trucks.
- On-the-job training approximately 6 to one (1) year. Formal education which includes reading, writing and math with completion of a High School Diploma or GED. Some knowledge and experience working with water/sewer utilities preferred.
Salary: ranges from $31,622.24 - $40,516.32 annually along with an excellent benefits package.
Interested applicants must apply through NEOGOV, the City of High Point’s new job application system. To apply, please type the following link into your web browser: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highpointnc. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer.